Monday, March 26, 2012

Lessons Learned from the Challenge...

I realize this may seem like a bit of back-tracking, but I've been meaning to jot down some of the lessons I gleaned from the recent Photo-A-Day challenge. It turned out to be more of an exercise in reaching out and communicating and letting/making myself be heard.... All things I've needed to improve upon.

So here are, in no particular order, things I learned...

  • Just shoot. How are you going to take pictures if you don't let yourself get past your own lofty expectations and just push the button? Digital can be a great self-tutoring tool if you let it. So just shoot.
  • Even when shooting for fun, it's necessary to have a goal of some sort. Even if that goal seems trivial... If you don't have a goal when taking pictures, why even bother to pick up the camera?
  • Don't look down your nose at new technology... You could miss out on a lot of fun. Explore new technology and figure out whether it fits into your world of imaging. If it does, great! If it doesn't, move on.
  • Don't compare yourself to other photographers.
  • Even if you don't push the images to Facebook, Twitter or your blog, Instagram publishes everything. EVERYTHING!
  • Keep your eyes open and your apps handy.
  • Take the time to get to know your camera, whatever form it comes in. And have fun doing it.
  • Creativity does not happen in a vacuum... That's why mine rarely leaves the closet. (OK... this one is just to see if my mom reads my blog...)
I really should get back to work now... But I think I'll be crafting a new challenge for myself.


No comments: