Thursday, September 29, 2011

Experimentation Does a Girl Good


I've always been a fan of everything Polaroid. I got the chance to take a workshop in Polaroid transfers at the Light Factory several years ago. I wanted to be able to play with my images.

We went through all the normal procedures... and then I asked the instructor if it were possible to do a "double exposure" using two different slides.
She thought for a second and then said, "I don't know... why don't you try it?"

Hope & Roses (above) is the result of that little experiment.

Sometimes it's a drag to experiment... It can cost a lot of money (the Polaroid transfers are pretty cost-prohibitive) and when/if you don't get a result you like, it can chip away at your creative bravado. The truly difficult part is not thinking of ways to experiment, but accepting the result, good or bad, and embracing it as your own.
I guess that means I should dig up one of the images I didn't really like from the workshop. But the truth is, I liked them all.

No comments: