Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ah, Spring!

A few weeks ago, Punxsutawney Phil, arguably the most notorious groundhog in the United States, did not see his shadow, thereby declaring an early Spring.

It seems that the rodent was right as the Bradford Pears that populate most of Charlotte, NC are bursting forth with their blooms and their pollen. I'm not such a fan of these ornamental trees since I seem to have developed a raging allergy to them. I can just about predict when they will start to bloom by the degree of pain that creeps into my sinus cavities. But it's all good, because I know that the pain with eventually go away and I will have my flowers to photograph again.

I recently grabbed my camera and Lensbaby on one of the first warm days and headed for the Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens in Belmont. The crocuses were up. My bonus-father always kept watch for their arrival and even had a yearly contest to see who would actually spot the first shoots sticking through the ground.

And my flower sources seem to be in high gear, offering several options for flower models whereas a few weeks ago the only thing being offered was what could be shipped in from far off, warmer environs. I shot three flower portraits yesterday and have two more waiting for their close-ups today. Before too much longer, I'll be knocking on strangers' doors requesting to photograph flowers from their yards.

Now where did I leave my allergy meds?

No comments: