Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Prodigal Prints

We celebrated Thanksgiving last week. There was food... and this being the South, most of that food was produced from old family recipes and was not in the least bit calorie-conscious. I still haven't managed to tally up the poundage of butter used.
But food consumption was not the main thing. I think the "over-indulgence" was actually a form of holiday carb-loading to fortify us for the family workday on Saturday.
There were plans to rake leaves and power wash my mother's carport. The latter activity netted me some forgotten images like the one above.
I had moved back in with my parents at one point and there was not enough room for all my junk. I ended up abandonning a wooden dresser on the carport. Initially the dresser was used to store little things --- safety goggles, dust masks, wood screws, etc. --- but after a while it was ignored. I had forgotten what I had orginally placed inside.
While everyone else was blowing leaves and scrubbing siding, my mother instructed me that since the dresser was techincally mine, I was the one who had to deal with it. There was no escape. So I opened up the drawers one by one to clean them out and get the dresser ready for a new home.
Amid the cobwebs and spider eggs and dust were boxes of old slides. I opened one box and discovered that they were images I had shot in high school and college. I don't really remember shooting a lot of slides... I tended to go with black & white film since it was cheaper. But the images are all from my trips.
And amazingly, everything is in decent condition. No mold. Just a little dirt. But definitely not what you'd expect from being outside for several years. (and the dresser is not in bad shape either)
So I'm scanning old slides and I'll be looking for some more Polaroid film to create some transfers... Anybody got a box of 669 you'd be willing to sell at a reasonable price?

No comments: