Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Mid-Term Election Day... 2010

I suffered burn out from all the election madness during my 14 years in TV news.

It was exciting when I first started. I was one half of the two-person team charged with programming the equipment that displayed the results on your TV screen during your favorite programs on Election night. It made me feel like I had an important part in the grand scheme of things.

But then I became disillusioned with both television news and the political process. I just wanted to hide. I'm ashamed to say, I think I skipped the last mid-term voting day.

That changed this year. The attack ads began to air in heavy rotation. I watched Real Time with Bill Maher much more often than I should (not that I always agree with him... but it gets me thinking). The Rally to Restore Sanity (or Fear) seemed much more intelligent than anything that was coming out of any candidate's mouth.

I had fully intended to work all day at my computer without taking time to exercise my right to vote.

Then, I browsed the Mecklenburg County Board of Elections website. I took the time to read each of the candidate statements from each candidate that I did not already know... including all the Court of Appeals judges.

Maybe I was overcome by the spirits of Suffragettes... Maybe I was ashamed of slacking off. But this morning I decided I wanted to have my say, and so I did.



No comments: