Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Holiday Mode

I'm feeling rather worthless this week... creatively speaking.

My main focus is "crafting" my Sweet Potato Casserole for the family get-together on Thanksgiving Day. I've only had fleeting visits from the Idea Fairy this week. Yes, I know it's only Tuesday, but let's get real... I'm in some sort of nesting-domestic mindset that I probably won't get out of until I put the Christmas tree up on Friday (yes, I'm one of those people).
So I'm not going to fight it. I will embrace that making the yearly recipe is, in itself, a creative venture. Especially since it is truly my concoction. I patched together bits and pieces of recipes and over the past five years have come up with a dish that has begun to be requested at gatherings of friends and family. I will share it with you below --- If you make it and like it, please let me know! And if anyone asks you, let them know you got the recipe from a creative photographer... because creativity does come in many forms.
I'll be posting images from this year's casserole later this week. Here's the recipe:

Jane's Sweet Potato Casserole
Casserole... 
  4-6 sweet potatoes --- cooked, skinned & mashed
  1/4 C. sugar
  2 eggs, beaten
  6 Tbls. butter, softened
  2 Tbls. milk
  1 tsp. vanilla
  1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  1/2 tsp. salt
  dash of pepper
  1 15-1/4 oz. can crushed pineapple, partially drained
Combine all these ingredients in a buttered 1-1/2 qt. baking dish.
Topping...
  3/4 C. Grape Nuts cereal
  1/2 C. light brown sugar
  4 Tbls. butter, melted
Combine Topping ingredients and spread on potato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

No comments: