Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Actually Letting Your Work Flow

Getting new equipment usually makes me do the happy dance. Last Thursday I left a big box store with my brand new 2T external drive tucked lovingly between my arm and breast. I knew this was the answer to my recent storage issues. I even took the drive out of the packaging as soon as I got home and gave it a space on my desk.

And there it sat for the next three and a half days.

The reality of copying and checking and double-checking and then moving or outright deleting files made me want to curl up in the fetal position and wish it all away. I didn't even allow myself to think of defragmenting or reassigning opening programs. But I started.

About halfway through, my best friend gave me a pep talk saying that this set up would be much safer and efficient anyway.
And it is. It's about 27 hours since I initially started and all is well. Everything is set up much more efficiently and the external drive (which I think now I must name) has a comforting little glow and hum to it.

I think I need to take my camera out and shoot just so I can go with my new flow...

No comments: